Sunday, August 25, 2013

Days on the Beach. Not Spent Sunbathing


“Venice Beach in a combination of the tacky, the mindless, the ironic, and the novel.”
Venice Beach day!
One of the benefits of unexpectedly making friends at CTY was having someone to go out on adventures with on our free days.   One of the things I didn’t even realize I wanted to do was to go down to Venice Beach.  It was my first Southern California beach and even without any comparison to the other beaches nearby I knew Venice was a beach with a distinct personality.   I took a bus with Elicia, Andi and Jennifer and then walked about a mile until we came upon the stretch of sand while annoying clouds rolled in across the early sunshine.  The boardwalk reminded me in some ways of the town where the cruise ships dock in St. Maarten.  There wasn’t anything really new and shiny and Americanized about it.  Instead, it was a stretch of blacktop with vendors in permanent looking fronts on one side and temporary tents along the other.  There was an array of options—jewelry, clothing, scarves, coffee, funnel cakes, and every five steps or so medical marijuana stores.  The Doctor is In signs read or The Green Doctor, Accepting New Patients with a telling green leaf across the awning and on the glass.  Along the side closer to the beach were sand castle sculptors, tarot card readers, henna artists, and street performers. 
Henna tattoo! 
People of every kind walked along on the chilly day and we spent hours perusing, and buying, the different wares.  I got my first ever henna tattoo at Jennifer’s encouragement and Elicia’s willingness to do it too. 
Manhattan Beach volleyball courts
            The next weekend we biked on the beach down part of the bike path that ran almost 25 miles from Santa Monica to Torrence Beach.  The trip confirmed what I already knew as we headed south from the middle part near the Marina del Ray to Dockweiler Beach—where RVs and campers seemed to flock-- and headed on to Manhattan Beach and its Pier.  Pre-set-up beach volleyball courts were everywhere and sports abounded on the beach.  A week after that day Mom and I visited Santa Monica Beach and Pier, north of Venice Beach, and saw the personality there—part carnival, part upper crust which was totally different from Venice.  At least until we half-snuck onto a classy rooftop bar with vertical fire stations and great (expensive) drinks and filled with dressed up people.  We looked like we had spent the day meandering on the windy breach.  Because we had. But somehow they let us onto the rooftop. We looked down the beach towards the lights and saw the Ferris Wheel of Santa Monica’s pier in the not-so-distant stretch down the beach.
Santa Monica Pier
            I was on Santa Monica’s pier two weeks later when a car purposely plowed into people crowding the Venice Beach Boardwalk, killing one and injuring dozens.  It’s not as though Venice is my hometown beach.  But I had just been there, and since we walked the entire boardwalk I had been in the exact spot where the driver had gone into the crowd.  In the exact spot just two weeks earlier.  The pier I was standing on on Saturday, August 3 was less than five miles away.  (In case you didn’t know anything about this, here’s the link about it: http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/03/us/california-venice-beach-crash ).
            I loved that day walking along Venice and I wouldn’t trade it.  But I knew its personality a bit, and so it felt more like a classmate hurting instead of just some person you’ve vaguely heard of but never met.  Maybe I’m personifying the beach too much, but it was my first Southern California beach experience with newly forged friends, and one of my favorite days of the CTY summertime.  So it hurt just a little bit to read about the death of a person I’ve never met because it happened on a beach I had met. 

No comments:

Post a Comment