Thursday, June 28, 2018

In case you were wondering... (logistics of this move!)

I found out about this because a friend did it.  It’s a program the Spanish Ministry of Culture and Sport does—they hire 2,500ish of us to have this position across the country because they know learning the language from a native speaker is more effective.  So, I’m going officially (which has its own hassles and rewards.)

Yes, I do get paid.  Not very much at all, but enough to live on.  Plus I get European health insurance.  Not sure what to expect there, but it will exist!

No, they don’t give me accommodations.  I have to figure that out on my own.   Everything I’ve heard and read has said to wait until I’m there to find something—don’t commit online ahead of time.  So, my mom and I are planning to go out a few weeks early so I can find something.  Although, the e-mail I just got from my school seemed to indicate they might be able to point me in the right direction.  Fingers crossed!

I’m not staying forever.  At least, I don’t think so. Certainly not doing this.  This is a one year program and I’m there on a student visa. I don’t have a continuing contract job or the right to stay and work as it currently stands. 

I didn’t give up my job to do this.  I qualified for a year leave of absence from Fairfax County Public Schools.  I’m guaranteed a job to come back to after a year  No, they don’t guarantee it will be in the same school at the same position.  I’m guaranteed an English teaching job in the county somewhere.  I’m still in the Instructional Coach pool.  I can apply for jobs and there is certainly the potential I could be back at my old school in some capacity.  But that part isn’t guaranteed.  The overall job is, and my sick leave and retirement are just put on hold, waiting for me to come to back. 

I rented my condo, mostly furnished (except the living room).  It felt good to give away some things, sad to realize how much money I had spent on stuff I didn’t need or even use, and worries me that I’ll need to condense life into a few suitcases in a few months. 

I have the most supportive parents you could possibly imagine.  Yours might tie mine, but they definitely don’t beat them.  They have been helpful, kind, selfless, and very importantly, have listened when i’ve said that certain jokes won’t play well in my current mental state.  They also drove down together, helped me load up a truck, drove back in separate cars, unloaded all of my things into their garage, returned the truck, and helped me avoid a mental breakdown by telling me it was in fact a smart idea.  And then said it was no problem when I started to express gratitude.  Like I said, they’re the best. 

I didn’t get to choose my exact placement, only my region (Andalucia.)  I asked for a secondary school and luckily got it! 

I work October 1 to May 31.  For 12 hours a week.  Yup, that’s right.  12 hours a week. 

No, I’m not fluent in Spanish.  If I have context and the speaker is not terribly emotional, I can often understand a decent amount of what’s being said in Spanish.  I’m not nearly as good at speaking it.  A good deal of what I’ve learned was from teenage boys from El Salvador and Honduras and Guatemala.  Therefore, a lot of words that are not appropriate for polite conversation.  I’m not fluent.  But that’s part of the point.  I want to be.  At the very least, I want to be easily conversational. 

This is what’s happening in my life and I welcome questions or comments or anyone who’s interested in visiting. I’m also willing to come visit anyone who will be on the continent over the next year.  I want to fill up my passport and see it all! 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Meg. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest. Good to go through your blog post and know what is going through your life. I like what you said about your parents who are so caring and protective of you and it is but natural to hear from you what you have been experiencing of your parents. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centred rest of the year 2018. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete